Legal and Justice Help

There are services and people who can provide you with guidance and information about legal matters having to do with abuse and the court system.

Community Legal Information

Community Legal Information helps PEI residents understand the law and navigate the justice system. If you have questions about the legal system and family law, we are here to help.

You may also ask about a referral to a lawyer for a brief consultation for a small fee.

Community & Correctional Services Clinical Services Team

The clinical services team provides assessment, intervention, counselling and treatment services to youth and adult offenders in the community and in custody. Programming is also available to those outside of the criminal justice system. Specialized services include Anger Management, Sexual Deviance Assessment and Treatment, Aboriginal Services and Turning Point Program (for men, aimed at stopping intimate partner violence).

  • 902-569-7613 - clinical services

Court Orders for Your Protection

Crime Stoppers

If you are being abused or know of an abusive situation, call Crime Stoppers anonymously. We do not require your name, only your information.

Family Court Mediators

If you are a parent who is trying to settle a child custody and access and/or child support issue, you may benefit from mediation services offered through the Family Court Counsellor's Office. A mediator is a neutral third party who can help you and your child's other parent work out solutions in the best interests of your children. You do not need a court order to access this service.

Family Legal Aid

Low-income individuals may be provided with legal representation and assistance by lawyers when faced with a serious family law issue, such as domestic violence and threats.

Legal Referral Service

Victim Services

Victim Services provides free, confidential services to men, women and children who have been victims of violence, or any other crime. Workers can explain the court process, justice system, and the status of your case. They can provide short-term counselling, help to prepare a victim impact statement or community impact statement, provide information regarding recovery of financial losses and make referrals for support services needed. Victim Services will also help you assess risk, make a safety plan and can help you obtain an Emergency Protection Order (EPO), if needed. You do not have to involve police to access the services of Victim Services. A person can access Victim Services whether the police have been called or not.