Emergency services are available to residents of all ages and genders across Prince Edward Island.

Emergency Services

Anderson House - PEI Family Violence Prevention Services

Anderson House is the provincial emergency shelter for women and children who are experiencing physical, emotional or sexual abuse. Services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Staff provide confidential one-on-one support and information, as well as referrals to other services needed. They can help and advocate if you choose to work with police, social workers or other service providers.

Outreach Services are confidential support services for those affected by family violence. Outreach workers provide support, education, advocacy and safety planning.

  • In West Prince: 902-859-8849
  • In East Prince: 902-436-0517
  • In Eastern PEI: 902-838-4600, ext. 23
  • In Queens County: 902-566-1480, ext. 224

Chief Mary Bernard Memorial Women’s Shelter

Located on Lennox Island, the shelter provides on-reserve, region-wide emergency housing to Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal women and their children who are experiencing family violence and to women who are homeless.

  • Call 902-831-2332 or toll-free 1-855-297-2332

Blooming House

Blooming House Women’s Shelter Inc. is a registered charity, nonprofit organization whose primary goal is to provide safe overnight shelter for women in the Charlottetown area. The shelter serves as a low-barrier, harm-reduction, safe space. 

  • Open 4 PM-8 AM; 7 nights a week.
  • Call 902-213-9969  

Island Helpline

Call 1-800-218-2885 day or night, 7 days a week, 365 days a year for free, confidential emotional support, active listening, and crisis counselling on family matters, child abuse, alcohol and drugs, parenting, suicide, loneliness and other problems. A trained and caring staff member or volunteer will answer your call.


Call 911 if you or someone you know is in danger. When you call 911, an operator will listen to you and refer your message to police who will react immediately and arrive to help. The officers will interview you and the suspect separately to establish the circumstances of the case. If needed, they will provide first aid and call EMS. You will not need to report on the perpetrator.

If you have been physically injured go to a hospital emergency department or visit your physician's office to be examined as soon as you can. This will provide you with evidence in case you want to report to the police later. If you are afraid of greater violence, find a safe place – at work, with family or friends, or an emergency shelter (see below).